The Secrets Behind The Eye Color

Eye color is determined by the amount of melanin, a dark brown pigment, found in the eye called the “iris”. The blue eyes are caused least the amount of melanin and brown eyes showed a high number of melanin.

People with darker hair color and a skin have more melanin, so they have brown eyes, while those with the paler hair color and skin has a much smaller amount of melanin that usually have a brighter eye color.

Eye color is influenced by genes. The most easy concept to explain how inherited hereditary iris colorĀ  is the concept of heredity 2 allele. Image above is a simple concept of heredity 2 allele.

Brown is the most common eye color in the world. This is the result of the presence of large amounts of melanin in the iris stroma.

Hazel eye color or brownish red, also includes a common eye color. Hazel eye color is the result of a combination of Rayleigh scattering and a layer of melanin in the front border of the iris. Hazel eye color has also been defined as a color intermediate between green light and dark brown. Hazel eye color is very common among people in the U.S. and Europe, while rare in Africa, the Middle East and Asian people.

Gray eye color can be dark blue color (like blue-green). Gray eye color associated with a low melanin in the iris and is associated with little pigmentation throughout the body (such as pale skin, bright hair, etc.).

Blue eye color is quite common in Europe, especially those born in Germany, Holland, Iceland, Austria, Sweden, Norway, Denmark, Finland, and Estonia. The secret behind blue eye color is the low amount of melanin in the iris stroma. In Central Asia and the Middle East, blue eyes are very rare.

Amber eye color is defined as a golden yellow and brown / copper color. The secret behind the amber eye color is the deposition of ‘lipochrome‘, the yellow pigment in the iris. This is a very rare eye color and also known as ‘wolf eyes‘, because the yellow eye color is very common in wolves.

Green eye color is the rarest eye color, with only 1-2% of the world’s population born with green eyes. The secret green eye color is a moderate amount of melanin production. People born in Northern Europe and Nordic countries (like Iceland, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Germany, and Netherlands) usually have green eyes.

If someone has a different amount of melanin in each iris in their eyes, they will have different color eyes. This is called Heterochromia iridium. Heterochromia iridium is relatively rare for humans. Heterochromia iridium more common in some animals such as horses, cats, and several species of dogs.

Heterochromia iridium allegedly as a result of changes to one of several genes that regulate eye color. Heterochromia iridium is also a hereditary factor, although trauma and some types of medication can also result in increased or decreased pigmentation in one slice. Some types of medical syndromes, such as Waardenburg syndrome, can also cause someone to have two different eye colors.

Keywords:

• secrets of eye color
  • rare eye colors
  • amber eye color meaning
  • eye color secrets
  • rare eye color
  • Heterochromia
  • eye color secret
  • rare eye colors in humans
  • secret of eye color
  • people with different colored eyes

Filed Under: FeaturedNature

RSSComments (20)

Leave a Reply | Trackback URL

1. Aurora says:

I think this is totally weird since my mom has brown eyes, my dad has blue eyes and both, me and my sister, have green eyes and it says that the odds of that happening is zero.

• Vee says:

I totally agree…my mother has brown and they turn green when she is upset…my father had blue and when mad his would turn very light blue..and i have brown with green flecks….and one of my sisters had cold blue eyes..another has eye/green that lok straight through you and are very unsettling…and my other two sisters..one has dark brown…and the other has brown with yellow flecks.

• Vee says:

typos…oops…what i meant to say was that another sister has blue/green eyes that look straight through you and are very unsettling.

• Jennit says:

I agree with you, although I guess my situation is a little unique. My mom has one brown eye and one green eye and my dad has blue eyes; and, my brother and I both have green eyes, also.

• Sorry says:

“YOU are not The Father!”

2. heh says:

Weird… my mother’s eyes are blue, father’s are brown while mine are dark green? Is says I’ve got 0% chance of getting green. So, don’t trust everything that people write :P

3. sara says:

They actually say, tho not here, that there is possibly a third allele that effects eye color, so you would really be woring with 2 browns and a hazel, and have hazel…. but they kept it simple here. i have one daughter w brown, one w blue, and one with hazel. i have hazel, and my hubby has green….

4. Jennifer says:

My eyes are hazel with smokey blue-ish grey and some golden flecks, my mom has blue eyes, dad has brown eyes.my sister has brown w/ blue flecks eyes and my brother has brown. now my husband has green with brown and son has a very ice blue eyes.I can see how my brother and sister got their eye color, but not sure about mine. My husbands mom has brown eyes, and his dad has blue eyes, so there was no chance of him getting green, but both of his brothers has brown eyes. I still find this interesting, but I think they should do more research.

• Mehru says:

Umm… My mom’s eye color is Brown(maybe dark) and people claim my dad’s eye color is light brown but me and my sis thing its hazel… My eye color is Dark brown and my sister is lightish brown. My brother is Brown

5. Seth says:

Around my pupil is green and it takes up half of the eye and the other half or the eye is blue and my brother and one sister have brown eye, my other sister has blue eyes, and both of my parents have brown eyes. Explain that one.

6. Hannah says:

Hi, well, Is blue eyes with white flakes, rare, because thats what I have! My mom has blue/green eyes and my dad just has blue eyes. How did I get the white flakes from? My brother, Has gray eyes and little bit of white flakes, then My little sister just has gray eyes with a tint of bright blue. Me, I have Bright blue eyes, instead of grey, and I have white flakes, how could that be?
    Oh, and I have a friend named jade, she has one blue eye, and one green Eye! That is really rare! :D
    Well, thanks for showing your work,
    Hannah Sessions :3

7. Bridgette says:

Woah,what’s really weird is that I used to have an amber eye color & over the summer my eyes have changed to more of a lighter green color….

8. ni ne says:

my eyes have brown with green ring around them by the summer they had change to hazel by time july 4 my eyes where blue now they are hazel gray but i am africa america my eye dr say i was ok but he never seen that before and he a speacialize.

9. sean b says:

they dont say anything about black eyes, my eyes ate black. Both my parents eyes are brown

10. Ryan-Lee says:

My dad had green and my mom had blue and I have brown but my bro and sis has blue wtf

11. lol says:

Both my mom and dad have gray eyes, but I have amber. Like wtf?! :D

12. anda says:

soo.. my father has brown eyes and my mum has like brown eyes but they change i don’t know how, anyway… these are the eye colours of my parents…As for me i have dark brown eyes, in the light they change and get: light brown… My brother has this beautiful light brown eye colour and then there goes my sister… She has Green eyes and sometimes they change into light blue ones… Mannnn this is awkwrd but still iii lovee her eye colour :)

13. Jordan says:

My eyes are a light green with brown flakes and my brother’s are dark blue. My mom has dark blue eyes like my brother but I don’t know my dad, he left when I was a baby. Since no one else in my family has green eyes or flakes does that mean my dad has green eyes too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:)